Job Opening at Eat Drink Politics – Project Assistant
Location: San Francisco Bay Area required, telecommute
Status: Part-time, contract, 5-10 hours/week with the potential for more hours
Compensation: $20 per hour
Post date: June 12, 2014, position starts August 2014.
Michele Simon, public health lawyer and author of Appetite for Profit, is seeking a smart and eager candidate to serve as her assistant for her Oakland-based food and alcohol industry watchdog consulting firm, Eat Drink Politics. In the past two years, Eat Drink Politics has launched hard-hitting reports that were covered by the New York Times, Al Jazeera, and dozens of other media outlets across the country.
The assistant is responsible for carrying out administrative duties, with the potential to also assist with research, writing, and outreach activities. The successful candidate is computer-savvy, flexible, a good communicator, and comfortable working independently from home. The ideal candidate also has a strong interest in food politics and/or social justice. Fun to work with is always a plus.
Position summary; among other duties:
- Assist in updating blog, making website updates, and Facebook and Twitter;
- Draft, design, and send monthly e-newsletters;
- Data entry for contacts, trouble-shooting problems with computer accounts, etc.
- Outreach for speaking appearances at conferences, colleges, other venues.
Potential exists for your hours to increase and to include the following duties, depending on your skills and interests, and projects that arise
Research and writing
- Conduct research for memos, articles, and reports including analyzing industry reports, financial records and databases, and lobbying expenditures;
- Draft, proofread, and edit reports; develop and format endnotes.
- Demonstrated ability to perform online tasks, such as online newsletter services, blogs, and social networking sites;
- Comfort ability working from home;
- Solid research, writing, editing, and verbal communication skills;
- Strong interest in and commitment to the mission of Eat Drink Politics.
The anticipated start date for this position is August, but flexible. Please send cover letter, resume, and brief writing sample to Seema Rupani at: email@example.com. (No calls please.)